Be Cool because every footprint matters!
Some Cool steps can make a big difference:
1. Be Local Food should be LOADED with Goodness (Local, Organic, Affordable, Delicious, Elegant and Delightful). The carbon footprint of food transport is BIG.
2. Be Deep Sign up for your areas 100% Deep Green renewable energy if they have one, lobby for one if they don’t . If you are a Bay Area resident see if you can sign up for Marin’s Deep Green Energy program. MCECleanenergy.org
3. Be Efficient Make your home more energy efficient and save money. If homes were 25% more efficient it is the equivalent of half the cars being taken off the road. RisingSunEnergy.org will help you do this for free and even provide the labor and light bulbs. Caulk windows, insulate water heaters and attic, switch to LED lights and installing a smart meter often improves your efficiency by about 25%. That’s also a 25% savings on your bill.
4. Be Stylish Turn the thermostat down and put on a sweater. Sweaters and slippers are the trend setting new rage.
5. Be Conservative Using less, fixing things, turning down the thermostat by a few degrees, reduce sprinkler time and frequency, take fewer trips. In other words read more do less.
5. Be Hip Have your next car be an electric car. Rebates of up to $7000+ are available.
6. Be Adamant Be a citizen, not a consumer and demand environmental consideration in your purchases. Say NO to plastic containers, bags and stuff that will turn into trash or storage bills later.
7. Be Veg Eating less meat is good for your heart, good for the planet and of course good for the cows. Every meat meal is equivalent to about a tank of gas (320 miles).
8. Be Paperless Pay bills online. Go to www.stopjunkmail.org or use the Paper Karma mobile app to reduce your junk mail.